Shake Education Starts Here!
Diverse, engaging lesson plans and interactive exercises incorporating Raspberry Shake for students of all ages — Designed to help you and your students to get the most out of your classroom’s seismograph
We believe in hands-on, experiential learning with real meaning
Introduce students to the Raspberry Shake
- Learn the basics of seismology
- Understand how a seismograph works
- Explore the capabilities of your Shake
Step into the Shoes of Seismologists
- Understanding seismic waves
- Interact with our global seismic network
- Use EQ Locator to triangulate earthquakes
Computer science and programming
- The basics of RS computer science
- Discover alternative uses for your Shake
- Get familiar with Node-Red programming
- Interactive and hands-on lerning
- Everyone can participate
- Gain understanding of earthquakes
Build your own Seismograph
- Students build a basic seismograph
- Common classroom materials
- Gain new appreciation for seismometers
Energy Wave Experiment
- Gain a deeper understanding of energy waves
- Practice using the Scientific Method
- See how different mediums transfer energy
Our Education Philosophy
Real Science, Real Learning, Real Difference
At Raspberry Shake, we believe that students really learn and are inspired by science when they are really doing science. And not just any science – Science that is real, tangible, hands-on. Science that makes a difference. And with Raspberry Shake, this is possible.
“With projects like Raspberry Shake, that distant idea of ‘science making a difference’ becomes reality.”
Raspberry Shake is unique in that, when it is set up in a region and connected to our seismic network, it automatically increases our ability to monitor earthquakes and other seismicity in that area. This is pretty incredible by itself, but now imagine students at the forefront of these new seismic stations.
Students — setting up the seismograph; Students — doing data analysis on the seismic readings; Students — helping promote earthquake awareness in their community; Students — making a real difference. The impact that this community engagement, that this sense of purpose provides students is life-changing.
Too often student’s perspective on science is one of passive information intake and dissemination. This method of learning, as much as it meets the current testing standards, often falls short of really inspiring students to want to do more science. With projects like Raspberry Shake, that distant idea of ‘science making a difference’ becomes reality.